Visit to The Umoja Women’s Village in Kenya

One of the highlights of my first trip to Africa, was a visit to the Umoja Women’s Village in Kenya. A village on the banks of the Ewaso Ng’iro River in Samburu National Reserve, around 380km from Nairobi. The village is inhabited by members of the Samburu tribe, who are closely related to the Masaai. What’s unusual about this village, is that it is only made up of women and some children who are growing up in the village.

Umoja Women's Village

I heard the women coming before I could see them. They were clapping and singing, their wonderful African voices working in perfect harmony. Growing louder as they approached, I was mesmerised by their colourful robes, beaded necklaces and headwear.

Umoja Women's Village

The women performed a number of ritual songs and dances for us to see, thrusting their chest and shoulders forwards, which causing their necklaces to jump up and down as if they had a life of their own. They sang a song called ‘My Cow is Better Than Your Cow’ and a more serious song called ‘The Vagina Song’ where the women celebrated their bodies and their freedom.

Umoja Women's Village  Umoja Women's Village

The singing and dancing is very fun to watch, but beneath the surface there are serious connotations.  Samburu women have endured a lot through the years – with little access to education, Female Genital Mutilation, forced marriages (in some cases to MUCH older men, and men with HIV) and regular beatings.

Umoja Women's Village

The village was started by a Samburu woman called Rebecca Lolosoli in the early 1990’s as a safe haven for the women who have had (or were about to) have the above practices forced upon them. Umoja actually means ‘unity’ in Swahili. The women work as a cooperative, selling their jewellery to passing tourists. They have since inspired other women to do the same.

Umoja Women's Village

The women showed us how they maintain their traditional mud houses, by smearing  wet cow and elephant dung onto the outside walls. The huts were surprisingly cool inside and offered a wonderful respite from the dusty heat outside.

Umoja Women's Village  Umjoa Women's Village

We stayed at the campsite which is adjacent to the village which is also owned by Umoja. The campsite is a perfect base for visiting the village as well as taking a game drive in the Samburu National Reserve. The camp has bar and restaurant facilities and you can also experience a traditional campfire dinner with more singing and dancing. The Umoja Camp is great if you are on a budget, however there are plenty of lodges in the area if you would like to stay elsewhere and a number of tour operators that can offer safaris.

Umoja Women's Village

Please visit their website here for more information, booking or if you’d like to support them.

Umoja Women's Village

Essential Info:

• I did my trip as part of an overland trip with Absolute Africa. They offer tours of various lengths, from 1 week – 11 weeks. All fees were included in the overall price of the tour.
  • Samburu National Reserve is around 5/6 hours from the capital, Nairobi by road. You will usually arrive through Archer’s Gate.
  • We stayed at the Umoja Campsite, adjacent to the village.
  • There are several other camps and lodges both inside and outside the park, all of which can organise trips to the village for you.
  • Village entry is $10 pp (for Kenyan residents) and $20 pp (for non residents).
  • The info regarding accommodation has disappeared from their website, but you can contact them via the website as above. However the prices were as below.
  • Huts Accommodation $20 pp/pn – $38 pp/pn (dependant on huts or chalets).
  • Camping Fee $10 pp/pn.
  • Museum Entry Fee $5 pp

* All prices correct at the time of writing (August 2013).

Comments

1. says

My wife and I have yet to visit Africa together and she is from Ethiopia. These women are amazing and I really like the photo of the two talking together and seemingly in deep thought. What happens with all of the men though from the tribe?

• Helen says

Hey Thomas,

Thanks for your comment! These women are amazing! I always wonder what they are chatting about. Looks serious, but it could have been about anything!

What I should have explained, is that all these women are not from the same village originally. So they are all from the Samburu Tribe, but different villages and women from that tribe come here as a kind of ‘refuge’ I guess, although I wouldn’t call it that! Hope that makes sense!

• Thomas says

Oh okay thanks for clarifying. Are there any little boys I would think some of them had kids? If so do they make them leave after a certain age?

• Helen says

There were a few little boys actually. I visited the pre school there. I doubt they’d make them leave, I suppose they bring them up to think of women in a different way than perhaps historically men of the tribe did before. I’ll see if I can find out!

2. Helen says

Hi Thomas,

I checked and they don’t make them leave as long as the sons are respectful to the women of the village. In fact some of the boys who have grown older have protected the women from other men. I assume some of the sons born there will go on to marry women from that village too – except they’ve been brought up with a totally different mindset to the one the men of the tribe traditionally have.

• Helen says

Hi Tammy!

Thanks for stopping by! These women are just incredible and brave. Rebecca is an inspiration, she’s the Samburu lady who started it all! :)

Helen

• Helen says

Hey Meruschka,

I saw the hashtag yesterday! I will definitely be using it!

Look forward to speaking with you some more!

Helen

3. says

Last week I visited with Rebecca and the ladies of Umoja. They are a fabulous group of women. Unfortunately, they are still being harassed by the men who are currently encroaching on Rebecca’s land by pulling out the post marking boundaries, and building upon their land… essentially stealing it. The greatest need for these women right now is to build a secure fence. Please help them raise the funds to build and secure their future.

4. says

The ladies look just gorgeous! And how amazing their accessories are! And thanks a lot for the price breakdown! Adding them to my travel planner and hope I can finally make it to Africa next year!

• says

They’re beautiful aren’t they? They make all the beaded stuff themselves, and you can buy much of it there! Definitely go if you get the chance! It’s a great experience!