As you know, I spent the first part of the year travelling around South Africa, Swaziland and Mozambique. It was an epic adventure!
I was there for a few reasons. I was meeting up with one of my best friends, who is an Australian teacher, so we were taking advantage of her school holidays, I wanted to escape the UK in January (brrrrr and bleurgh) and I was doing a recce for my latest Rock My Adventure tour! So I am happy to announce that…
Rock My South Africa, Swaziland & Mozambique Adventure Overview
I am so excited to share this epic adventure with you! Spanning 3 amazing and very different countries, this trip has it all!
Do you love incredible wildlife, being surrounded in nature, cosmopolitan cities, stunning and unspoilt beaches, cultural experiences and great nightlife?
Then this is the trip for you!
Join me on an epic and immersive adventure in South Africa, Swaziland & Mozambique and let me show you a different side of Africa, not the Africa you see in the media but the adventurous, beautiful, wild and real Africa I know and love.
- Duration: 14 Nights
- Dates: 29 October – 12 November 2018
- Start: Johannesburg, South Africa (nearest airport – O. R. Tambo International Airport)
- Finish: Maputo, Mozambique (nearest airport – Maputo International Airport)
- Maximum Group Size: 8 people (7 participants plus 1 group leader)
- Group Leader: Helen
- Minimum Age: 18
- Cost: £1,895 (£100 discount for the first 4 bookings)
- Deposit: £200 (non-refundable)
- Balance Due: 28 August 2018 (payment plans available)
Days 1 – 2: Johannesburg, South Africa
We’ll start off by exploring the cosmopolitan city of Johannesburg or ‘Jozi’ as the South Africans call it.
We’ll visit the infamous and often misunderstood Soweto township, learning about the Soweto uprisings and the resistance against the Apartheid regime. We’ll be staying in one of Johannesburg’s coolest neighbourhoods so you’ll also get to experience the hipster side of the city.
Day 3: Hazyview, South Africa
From Joburg, we’ll take the scenic route towards Kruger National Park, stopping at God’s Window on the Drakensberg escarpment to see one of the most beautiful views in all of South Africa over the Blyde River Canyon, before spending the night in the town of Hazyview.
Days 4 – 5: Kruger National Park, South Africa
We’ll spend 2 full days on an incredible safari in Kruger where you’ll have the chance to see the ‘Big Five’ – lions, elephants, leopards, rhinos and buffalos.
Here we’ll take part in the ultimate South African pastime – the braai (that’s a bbq to you and me) – cooked by me (I’m a good cook, I promise) and our guide, but you can help too, or you can just put your feet up and chill with a beer, it’s totally up to you!
Days 6 – 8: Milwane Wildlife Sanctuary, Swaziland
Leaving Kruger, we’ll road trip over to the Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary, an outdoor lover’s paradise in the Kingdom of Swaziland. The area we are staying in is known as Ezulwini Valley (which means the ‘Valley of Heaven’).
We’ll be staying in ‘beehive’ huts inside the sanctuary, which will be our base to explore this small and stunning country for the next 3 days. Mlilwane is an incredible place and you will love being surrounded by nature and animals often come into the camp.
Whilst we’re here, we’ll visit the Mantenga Cultural Village, where you will learn about Swazi culture and I’ll take you on a tour of the Lobamba township and village where we will have the chance to look around and meet the local people you’ll ever meet.
There will also be some free time for activities, including horse riding or mountain biking through the beautiful reserve, going on a village walk, white water rafting, tubing, abseiling, hiking Sibebe Rock, quad biking, guided or self-guided hikes or a ziplining canopy tour through the stunning mountain wilderness of the Malolotja Nature Reserve.
Day 9: Maputo, Mozambique
Today, we’ll cross the border and over into fabulous Mozambique and our first stop is the cool, cosmopolitan capital, Maputo.
Days 10 – 13: Tofo, Mozambique
Our last few days will be spent in the absolutely stunning and amazing town of Tofo, staying at the fabulous Mozambeat Motel!
Tofo is one of the most awesome places in Africa (seriously, I am so in love with this place), with a gorgeous beach that stretches for miles and an intoxicating laid-back vibe.
Whilst we’re here, we’ll take a trip to a local island on a traditional on a traditional dhow with snorkelling and a local lunch! Last time I was there, the chief asked if I would like to become his 3rd wife. I’m thinking about it… I mean, it’s a pretty nice island and all… (check out my saved Instagram Stories).
I’ll show you around town, we’ll go to a local pub or two, eat incredible seafood, visit the market where you can do some shopping and I’ll introduce you to my friend who is an excellent tailor, so if anyone wants any clothes made – he’s your guy!
There will also be some free time so that you can take part in some of the amazing activities on offer. Options include: going on an ocean safari to spot whale sharks and manta rays, scuba diving, deep sea fishing, quad biking, touring the old Portuguese colonial city Inhambane and surfing.
On our last evening, we’ll head out on a sunset cruise on the Indian Ocean, the perfect way to end our time in Tofo.
Days 14: Maputo, Mozambique
Today we’ll make our way back to Maputo. We should be there in good time to do any last minute shopping before we head out on the town for our last evening together.
We’ll go for a meal in one of Maputo’s great restaurants and then see if we can catch some live music, something the city is known for.
Days 15: Departure Day
It’s always a sad day as we say goodbye to our new friends, but the likelihood is that you will have fallen head over heels in love with Africa on this trip. So you may leave Africa, but Africa will never leave you. And I know… you’ll be back!
“I have had a fantastic time, thank you, you are the best. Thank you for the incredible journey and sharing your love of Africa with me. The laughs and memories will always be cherished… because of you I have fallen in love with Africa.” (Marsha, USA)
Rock My South Africa, Swaziland & Mozambique Adventure Highlights
- Explore the cool and hip city of Johannesburg.
- Take a tour of the Soweto township, former home of Nelson Mandela, where we’ll learn about the Soweto uprisings and the resistance against the Apartheid regime.
- Eat dinner at two of Johannesburg’s great restaurants and sample the fun nightlife.
- See the magnificent Blyde River Canyon from God’s Window.
- Go on a 2-day ‘Big 5’ safari in the incredible Kruger National Park.
- Enjoy the ultimate South African pastime – a braai (bbq) in Kruger National Park.
- Stay at the Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary, in the Ezulwini Valley (‘Valley of Heaven’), where animals often wander into camp.
- Climb the impressive Sibebe Rock, the world’s largest free standing rock after Uluru
- Go shopping for Swazi souvenirs.
- Visit the Mantenga Cultural Village and get an insight into Swazi customs and enjoy traditional Swazi singing and dancing.
- Visit the Mantenga Waterfall.
- Take a guided tour of Lombamba township and village and meet some of the friendliest and welcoming people ever.
- Eat dinner at the quirky House on Fire, Swaziland’s premier entertainment venue.
- Go horse riding or mountain biking through the beautiful Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary and surrounding areas.
- Get your adrenaline pumping with white water rafting or tubing in the Great Usutu River or go abseiling, ziplining or quad biking!
- Go shopping and explore Mozambique’s cosmopolitan capital city of Maputo and eat the freshest fish and seafood at Maputo Fish Market.
- Relax, chill and party in Tofo, one of the most beautiful and awesome places in Africa (in my opinion).
- Stay at the fabulous Mozambeat Motel.
- Explore Tofo, the local markets and get clothes made my a wonderful local tailor.
- Take part in one of the many great activities on offer: an ocean safari to spot whale sharks and manta rays, scuba diving, deep sea fishing, quad biking, taking an island tour and dhow trip with snorkelling, a visit to the old Portuguese colonial city Inhambane and surfing.
- Enjoy the Maputo nightlife.
- Say goodbye to your new friends on a sunset boat cruise on the Indian Ocean.
Want to experience some of these amazing places for yourself? Then come on the next Rock My South Africa, Swaziland & Mozambique Adventure!
Want to hear what others have to say about Rock My Adventure, then check out my Feedback Page! Or if South Africa, Swaziland & Mozambique aren’t your thing, why not check out some of the other Rock My Adventure tours to Kenya, Malawi, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia, Morocco, Uganda, Rwanda, DRC & Tanzania!