“Africa… can you feel it?” (Jamie Foxx)
I’ve been travelling in Africa for the last 10 years. Africa travel is my absolute passion, I live and breathe it.
I started this blog 6 years ago to help others to travel in Africa the way I do. I wanted to share my experiences to show you how accessible and awesome Africa travel can be.
For me, backpacking through Africa has been an incredibly rewarding experience. It’s my favourite way of travelling and a great way to experience the local culture.
But it isn’t always easy. Meeting new people all the time, trying to find group safaris to join, taking public transport and the inevitable long, lonely travel days can make travelling in Africa difficult and exhausting at times.
When you are able to backpack long-term, you have time to get into the swing of things, but when you only have a few weeks of annual leave, it becomes a lot more tricky to travel in a relatively cheap, culturally immersive and fun way.
Rock My Adventure – Small Group African Adventure Tours
I created Rock My Adventure because I want to take you on an incredible journey and show you first-hand the Africa I know and love.
Adventurous, Real, Wild, Beautiful, Accessible and Affordable Africa.
Our aim is to literally rock your adventure and make sure you have an amazing experience on your trip to Africa, by organising an epic and culturally immersive itinerary, at an affordable price but without the stress of planning and booking everything yourself.
Allowing you to enjoy your trip to the full.
What We Do
We offer small group African adventure tours that incorporate the best elements of solo travel and backpacking, with the best elements of more traditional group tours.
Our trips take place in Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, the DRC, Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa, eSwatini (formerly Swaziland), Lesotho, Mozambique, Sierra Leone and Morocco.
We bring together individuals for a fun and laid-back backpacking/flashpacking (aka fancy backpacking) adventure trip, similar to how you would experience Africa if you travelled independently, but with the added bonus of having a group of friends built in.
The majority of the tours are 2 weeks long, but some are shorter and some longer. If you have your own group, we can customise a tour just for you!
Even if you don’t see a tour that works for you – get in touch, we may be able to work something out.
Each tour is highly bespoke and created using all of our experience and knowledge.
We work with the best local suppliers and guides to provide you with the adventure you’ve always dreamed of.
We also support a number of local charities and social enterprises on the tours.
Our aim is to show you the real Africa… not just the safaris and bucket list adventures. I mean, we do all that too, but also so, sooooo much more.
We go on amazing safaris, climb mountains and go gorilla trekking, but we also visit local markets and villages, we take you off the beaten path, we go to the local bars and restaurants and introduce you to our local friends.
We keep it real.
How it Works
We have 17 different, exciting and adventurous Africa tours to choose from, taking place in 15 different countries.
To book on a tour, all you need to do is send us an email via the form at the bottom of each tour page or via our Contact page and then we’ll then send you the sign up details.
Once we’ve received your deposit, we’ll provide you with comprehensive pre-departure information (including packing list, insurance and visa info) to help you get prepared for your trip.
We’re always available in the run up to the trip to answer any questions you have or to give advice on any other Africa travel plans you have.
We’ll also send you the link to join the private Facebook group where you can meet your fellow adventurers before you go.
When you arrive in country, we can arrange an airport pick up to take you to your hotel to meet your leader and the group.
On the first evening the tour starts, we’ll have a welcome meal before the adventure begins officially the next day!
On the tour we include:
- Pre-departure info and support.
- All accommodation.
- Most meals (we don’t include all because it’s nice to have some freedom to explore).
- All transport within country to and from included excursions and between the main destinations on the tour.
- Most activities (see individual tours for what activities are included).
On the ground, you’ll have a group leader who will take care of all the logistics, organisation and admin, so that all you need to do is relax, have a great time and let us rock your adventure!
You can find a list of our FAQ’s here.
Rock My Adventure Travel Style
Rock My Adventure trips do not feel like a ‘tour’. Not in the traditional sense anyway. Our style of travel is relaxed and informal.
Your tour leader is very much part of the group, so it’s more like a group of friends travelling Africa together, but one friend (that’s us) plans the trip and takes on most of the organising so that you can get your bearings immediately and just concentrate on having a good time instead of running around trying to find accommodation, transport, friends and booking activities.
My friend Matt, who has been on two Rock My Adventure tours (and is now leading this one with me) described it like this…
“Imagine going on a trip, but when you get there you have a great friend who lives there, who is showing you around and taking care of everything.”
Our groups are limited to 8 – 10 people to ensure that the trips don’t feel too ‘tour’ like. This allows us to get to know each other properly and make friends as we go.
We include most things in the tour, however we like to leave a little bit of freedom and flexibility so that you can do your own thing if you want to.
You don’t have to stay with the group all of the time and if there are any activities you want to opt out of, you can. This is your holiday and we want you to enjoy it.
We’ll usually pair you up with a same-sex room mate (unless you come as a couple) and we generally stay in smaller, locally run hotels, camps and guesthouses and work with awesome, local businesses to provide you with a completely bespoke experience that you won’t find anywhere else.
You are going to love it!
Who Are Your Are Your Guides?
You’ll have one main group leader. At the moment that’s me or Jessi.
Jessi and I met when she came on the Rock My Uganda, Rwanda & DRC Adventure in 2017. She’s amazing. Super organised, knowledgeable, patient and most of all fun!
We also have Matt, an amazing photographer who is going to show you everything he knows on the Rock My East Africa Photography Adventure! Matt has pretty much taught me everything I know about photography.
You can read more about all of us here.
At some point this year, I will also be taking on a new group leader as well… all will be revealed soon.
We work with lots of awesome local guides for various sections of the trip, ie. when we’re on safari or when we do city tours. Our local guides are an incredible source of knowledge and will offer amazing insight into their countries.
Who Comes on Rock My Adventure Trips?
Most people who join the tours are solo travellers, but we also get lots of couples and occasionally a small group of friends joining the tours.
The average age of our travellers is late 20’s to late 40’s but we also get younger and older people. I think the youngest has been 20 and the oldest in their early 70’s.
The mixed ages usually makes up for an awesome and really interesting group. Many lifelong friendships have been made and it’s beautiful! We all still chat regularly over Whatsapp and Facebook Messenger, making plans and re-living the memories.
And there have already been reunions in Egypt, France, the US, Mexico, Dubai… and back in Africa!
This year (so far) we are welcoming back 8 repeaters (four people are coming back on their 2nd trip with us and five people are coming back on their 3rd trip with us) – which is incredible!
100% of our clients said they would recommend Rock My Adventure to a friend!
The feedback we’ve had, has been incredible:
“It has taken me 8 months to write this review because I couldn’t find the right words to describe it. It was perfect. Helen (you) are the perfect host. You know your stuff. You are good to the local guides you work with. You were always smiling. It was by far the best thing Jon and I have done together since backpacking through SEA in the early 90’s. We thought we had lost the opportunity to feel that authentic travel. We are very experienced travellers, flashpackers, and there is no way we could have arranged this on our own. We loved that it never ever felt like we were on a tour. We felt like we met up with long lost friends for a backpacking reunion. The cast of characters and the relationships formed were because of how you put this trip together. It. Was. Life changing. All of it. The trip was so good Helen. I’ve recommended you to everyone I know. Thank you.” HEATHER & JON | CANADA | ROCK MY UGANDA & RWANDA ADVENTURE 2018
You can read some more of our client testimonials here.
Ready to fall in love with Africa? Then check out our upcoming tours…
Rock My Adventure Trips – 2019
Rock My Kilimanjaro & Serengeti Adventure (15 February – 1 March 2019): FULL/COMPLETE Rock My Tanzania & Zanzibar Adventure (24 February – 12 March 2019): FULL/COMPLETE
- Rock My Uganda, Rwanda & DRC Adventure (12 – 28 July 2019): LIMITED AVAILABILITY – BOOK SOON
- Rock My Kenya Adventure (29 July – 13 August 2019): LIMITED AVAILABILITY – BOOK SOON
- Rock My Kenya & Tanzania Adventure (16 August – 1 September 2019): LIMITED AVAILABILITY – BOOK SOON
- Rock My East Africa Photography Adventure (20 August – 3 September 2019): PLACES AVAILABLE
Rock My Kenya & Tanzania Adventure (06 – 22 September 2019): FULL
- Rock My Tanzania & Zanzibar Adventure (2 – 18 September 2019): PLACES AVAILABLE
Rock My Malawi, Zambia & Botswana Adventure (21 July – 5 August 2019): FULL
- Rock My Botswana & Victoria Falls Adventure (6 – 20 August 2019): LIMITED AVAILABILITY – BOOK SOON
- Rock My Namibia Adventure (20 August – 6 September 2019): PLACES AVAILABLE
- Rock My Malawi, Zambia & Botswana Adventure (08 – 23 September 2019): PLACES AVAILABLE
- Rock My South Africa, eSwatini & Mozambique Adventure (18 October – 3 November 2019): LIMITED AVAILABILITY – BOOK SOON
- Rock My South Africa, Lesotho & Wild Coast Adventure (3 – 17 November 2019): PLACES AVAILABLE
- Rock My South Africa, Garden Route & Cape Town Adventure (17 – 29 November 2019): PLACES AVAILABLE
Rock My Sierra Leone Adventure (15 – 30 March 2019/03/2019): FULL/COMPLETE
Rock My Adventure Trips – 2020
- Rock My Kenya & Tanzania Adventure (24 January – 9 February 2020): PLACES AVAILABLE
- Rock My Rwanda, Uganda & DRC Adventure (10 – 26 July 2020): PLACES AVAILABLE
- Rock My Kenya Adventure (26 July – 10 August 2020): PLACES AVAILABLE
- Rock My Kilimanjaro Adventure (29 July – 9 August 2020): PLACES AVAILABLE
- Rock My Kilimanjaro & Safari Adventure (29 July – 13 August 2020): PLACES AVAILABLE
- Rock My Tanzania Adventure (7 – 24 August 2020): PLACES AVAILABLE
- Rock My Kenya & Tanzania Adventure (14 – 30 August 2020): PLACES AVAILABLE
- Rock My Malawi, Zambia & Botswana Adventure (11 – 26 July 2020): PLACES AVAILABLE
- Rock My Botswana & Victoria Falls Adventure (26 July – 10 August 2020): PLACES AVAILABLE
- Rock My Namibia Adventure (13 – 30 August 2020): PLACES AVAILABLE
- Rock My Malawi Adventure (23 August – 7 September 2020): PLACES AVAILABLE
- Rock My South Africa, eSwatini & Mozambique Adventure (16 October – 1 November 2020): PLACES AVAILABLE
- Rock My South Africa, Lesotho & Wild Coast Adventure (1 – 15 November 2020): PLACES AVAILABLE
- Rock My South Africa, Garden Route & Cape Town Adventure (15 – 27 November 2020): PLACES AVAILABLE
- Rock My Sierra Leone Adventure (24 January – 8 February 2020): PLACES AVAILABLE
- Rock My Benin & Togo Adventure (February 2020): REGISTER INTEREST
You can see all of our fabulous tours on the Rock My Adventure website.